Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's been awhile...

Tomorrow is our next baby appointment. Not much to report since the last one. Tori is doing spectacularly well. She has tons of energy (I'll spend more on this later) and her spirits have been very high. The heat has been hard on her and hasn't helped the swelling of her hands and feet that come with pregnancy. The other night her wedding rings got stuck. It was like a bad 80's sitcom. At least it wasn't a borrowed ring. And there wasn't any Crisco.

I have, however, gone back to work. I reveled in the applause my students gave me when they saw my updated power point presentation that introduces me to my classes. There was a new addition that pointed to a picture of Tori's belly and said, "Our baby." That was a great feeling. Aside from us and our family, my students will be the ones most effected by our new child. I spend more time with my students than I do with anyone besides Tori. I told them that the happy expression they were seeing on my face would be much different come February/March when I'm not sleeping and all I want to do is spend time with my new baby. They laughed...I guess they thought I was kidding.

This weekend will be when we move into our new two-bedroom apartment on the third floor. Of course we are smack-dab in the middle of an epic heat wave. We have actually already started the move. Last weekend we spent the day loading up the hand-truck, furniture dollies, and shopping carts with all of the flotsam and jetsam that is usually the last thing you move. Our goal is to have all surfaces cleared and all of the nooks and crannies (boy, lots of antiquated sayings in this post) emptied so that when everyone comes on Saturday (amazing friends and family) to help us move, they won't have to help us with that crap and can just help me move the fridge, couch, bed, etc. I hope to keep Tori from doing anything, but that may prove to be as fruitful as trying to hold back a tidal wave with a bamboo umbrella. It is fun to think that we are about to move into our baby's first home. And, although we have lived together in many other places, I suppose it will be our first home as a family.

Family. That is the part of this thing that I find the most bamboozling (you didn't think I could work that word in, did you?). We are starting a family. It isn't just a child, it is the start of a generation. Count me...bamboozled.

No comments:

Post a Comment