Friday, July 31, 2009

Who says...

You can't go home again? This past weekend, Tori and I drove up to the Bay Area. We took 101, because it is pleasant. Anyone who has done the drive from Southern California to Northern California, or vice versa, knows that I-5 is horrendous. Straight, hot, and stinky (Coalinga: where odors are born, and people die!). 101 is curvy, beautiful (you actually drive alongside the ocean for some time), and much cooler (the thermometer in my car hit 90 degrees at the hottest part of the day as opposed to the 105 it would have hit on I-5). Plus, you get to drive through San Francisco and across the Golden Gate to get to Mill Valley.

We got to my dad's house in the late afternoon where I was practically shoved out of the way by my stepmother so that she could give the pregnant mommy a big hug. ("Hello David, you look well...OH MY GOD, TORI!!!! HIIIII!!!!) Any current or expectant father knows that this is the drill. No need to take it personally. In fact, I enjoy it. It reminds me of our wedding. (How often do you see a picture of the groom by himself?) We had a lovely meal at Piatti in Mill Valley. Great Italian food overlooking the water with a view of Mt. Tam. Tori and I split a meal. (I'm waiting while those who know our eating habits get up after falling out of their chairs) Dad and Mona went out dancing at a nightclub that has only had two or three murders take place outside of it, so we knew they were safe.

The next day we went to the farmer's market at the Civic Center in San Rafael. Then we went and saw the new Buell residence and the newest Buell resident. BABY ELLIE!!! What an adorable baby! She is adorable. It was strange, and surprisingly comfortable, to see Ted and Michelle as parents. (How bizarre to see Teddy Buell holding his daughter in one hand while offering me a beer with the other.) We walked to the deli and got lunch and went back and sat in the Buells' yard and ate. When I was done eating, they passed me the baby.

Now, I was seven when my sister Ashley was born, and eight when Andy's sister, Jessica and my cousin, Ben were born. I know that I held all of them when they were babies and I never felt nervous about it. I was extremely confident. However, in the past few years, anytime I have held a baby (and that was rarely), they immediately began to cry. It had gotten to the point where I felt like Lennie from Of Mice and Men anytime I came near a newborn. ("I just want to touch them with the fingers") So I pretended that I was confident and took my best friend's beautiful, healthy, newborn baby daughter in my arms.

She didn't cry! Almost immediately, the middle of my back started to hurt. I really need to do some crunches and work on my core so I can be ready for fatherhood. Ellie is a "lounger". She spreads out when you hold her, so her left arm was flopped out. I felt a little like I was doing something wrong, but Ted and Michelle just laughed and said that's what she does. Then she did this breathing thing that made me worry. When I said, "Is that normal?" Ted was able to immitate it exactly from across the table, which let me know she does it all the time. Eventually I relaxed and started to enjoy it. I felt a bit of a bond forming between Ellie and her old uncle Dave. If I can feel a bond with her, I can't wait to meet my baby. When I finally gave her up, I attempted to straighten out my left arm. It felt like I had just finished doing about 10 million curls. I really need to start working out. Oh yeah, and I forgot the camera.

That night my mother arranged for us to have the patio at D'Angelo's for dinner. We had about fifteen people there. My mother and stepfather, my stepbrother, Chris and his wife, Carol. My stepcousin (if that's a thing), Sarah and her son Ryan and her boyfriend. My Aunt Regina and Uncle Bob who live in China were there. As well as my mom's friends Bob and Karen. Also in attendance were Nick and Lisa Woods, my friends from high school, and their son Quinton. Little Q stole the night. He is 2 1/2 years old and one of the funniest little kids anyone will ever meet. This was our second time meeting Q, and he didn't remember us. At first he was very shy and even a little grouchy, but soon he warmed up and charmed our end of the table. He seemed to be especially fascinated by Tori. Personally, I think he was trying to make a move on my woman. When he looked across the table at me and said, "Dave! Hi, Dave!" my heart just about melted. It was a great night. Oh yeah, and I forgot the camera.

The next night, Tori and I went to the Giants' game. We had bought Ted and Michelle's tickets for that night and Tim Lincecum was pitching. It was a classic San Francisco night. Cold, windy, foggy. Beautiful. Lucky for us, it was the fastest baseball game I have ever seen in person. The official time on the game was 2 hours and 5 minutes. But about fifteen minutes was wasted waiting for the mound to be fixed. Before the game, there was a moving memorial for Sue Burns, the majority owner of the team. Barry Bonds was there, and his body and cranium have shrunken back to human size. He got a standing ovation just as we were getting to our seats. It was a great game and we were sitting with real fans. We stood for the entire ninth inning. I wish our little peanut could have seen it. But peanut was there. Oh yeah, and I forgot the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment